Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Magic Mouse with FCP and Color

I am just now discovering the many potentials of Apple's "Magic Mouse". I was on the verge of returning it today due to the lack of the middle click function, which is highly necessary when using Color. Granted there are several improvements when running Snow Leopard with the Magic Mouse, such as momentum scrolling, the magic mouse isn't much different from the previous Mighty Mouse.

When I was about to throw in the towel, I found the "BetterTouchTool", a third party application that allows you to customize functions I didn't even know the mouse was capable of. I primarily use this to create a middle click function, which can be done by either designating an area of the mouse to act as the middle click, or as I have done, assign the a two-finger click as the middle click. This software also supports tap clicks and normal clicks with multiple fingers.

I have customized a function seen in the picture below to enable zooming, which I find very useful working in FCP. By holding down CMD and scrolling, I can zoom in or out in the timeline. The software has a "pinch" function, just like the iphone, but I found it was a bit more touchy and unreliable.

I'd definitely recommend the Magic Mouse in combination with this software to anyone who cares to streamline their editing process.

Click here to check out this software.


No comments:

Post a Comment